Monday, November 3, 2008

Why I LOVE Having 2 Boys (pt. 1)

I frequently get comments about the fact that I am the mother of boys. Sometimes they are positive (or at least neutral) comments, but frequently they are negative. I have never understood this! You'll hear things like "oh, you've got two BOYS" and then people look at me with something akin to both disgust and pity at the same time. I feel like shouting at the top of my lungs "YES! I have two boys!"

Before my kids were born, I thought I wanted a boy and a girl. One of each, and that way all of my child-rearing desires would be fulfilled. I would have a little girl that I could dress up, and she would have an older brother who was into sports and would look after her. While I think that parents are happy with whatever gender they have in their children, let me just take a minute to list some of the great things about boys.

1. Mom is the only girl that is not 'gross'.
2. Even a balloon is a weapon, when used properly.
3. Think the dog is safe when she's asleep? Think again!
4. Camo pants look too cool on 2 boys!
5. I get to rough-house with them
6. ... and then tell them they have to be gentle with me - I'm a girl!
7. Nobody is cooler than their (big or little) brother
8. They're very honest and tell you things like "I've got boogers"
9. ... then hand them to you
10. They make the best sound effects*

* It is a well-known fact that girls cannot make good sound effects. I thought this was a learned trait, but I want to put that theory to rest. Gabriel started making sound effects at about 7 months old. His cars said 'vroom' when he would roll them. And as he matures, so do the sound effects!

As time passes, I will add more and more reasons why boys rule, but that is my list for now.

No comments: